Some discussion has been made about what exactly is the spectrum of this poster database, but I thought it deserves its own topic.

I can't decide which version would I like better, but I'm leaning more and more towards a more narrow version. Here are my thoughts.

Version 1: all kinds of posters (games, movies, comics, advertisements...)
- Posters are just about as old as other popcultural outlets, and I would think that most of us appreciate good graphic design and are a fan of other forms entertainment as well - not just music freaks, so why narrow down the horizon?
- a good combination of marketplace and detailed database is needed in other fields as well.
- Why ruin someone's fun if they aren't into gigs?

Version 2: Only music-related
- Currently I feel that the database needs focus. The data entered is suitable for all kinds of posters, but because of that it doesn't tell too much, it's not tailored to any kind of need. In other words: it's hard to like by anyone and the amount of useful and specific info is limited.
- Once you get into the technical details: guidelines, what kind of data fields are needed, cross-referencing to other databases (Discogs), you realize that you have to decide what kind of database is this.
- I am not an expert, but my guts tell me that it will be much harder to compete with already established movie poster sites.
- Building from a smaller spectrum, and broadening later worked once for Discogs. You can open up to other pop-cultural territories later (although I admit that it might become harder.)
- There's a danger that with the "anything goes" mentality the db will become a messy pile of data.

Just discovered Posterogs, so hopefully I’m not rehashing old discussions, but I got here from Discogs, the music database, so naturally my interest is music related. I personally would prefer there is some music related subject matter to posters here. I agree, all posters could get incredibly huge and unfocused. I can image posters for lost dogs may qualify if not a one off. I would imagine a cross platform artist database would be much usable if only music related. I think the gray areas then would be do handbills count as posters and do things such as lobby cards for films like Don’t Knock The Rock qualify for a music only format. I personally would be disinclined to use the database or martplace if I’m sorting through thousands of non music related entries.

i feel it should cover all sorts of posters, not just music. but submissions would fall under one category, based on its subject matter (films/movies, music, art, sports, etc.)

I also would like it to either have it strictly related to music or at least have instances segregated to subject categories, e.g. MusicPosterOgs, FilmPosterOgs, etc. It will rapidly become painful to use if all new additions and searches have to go through cat posters, motivational posters, minor league sports, art exhibits, etc...

I definitely agree that there should be a little more focus on the poster types. It seems that some of the items that zoli79 mentioned are good reference points. My initial thought was that since this is a sister site of Discogs that the primary use would be for music related poster & such. I don't necessarily have a problem with other types of posters being added, but some clearer lines of demarcation would probably help.

„My initial thought was that since this is a sister site of Discogs that the primary use would be for music related poster & such. I don't necessarily have a problem with other types of posters being added, but some clearer lines of demarcation would probably help.“

That‘s what i thought. Music related and with categories e.g. gigposters, handbills, flyers.

I'm hoping we can have both movie posters and music posters here!

The thing about movie posters is that, since the '80s, they have been printed in such high numbers and their purpose has, for the most part, become strictly an advertisement rather than things of artistic value. Music posters tend more towards being artistic, and are usually printed in much smaller numbers. Even a marginal Hollywood production probably prints many times more posters than any nationally-touring act. Movie posters (and the 'artists' who produce them) in the modern day are really just another perverse corporate commodity designed for moving units.

So I guess the question becomes; do we want this place to be overrun with posters for Hollywood mega-runs with no more artistic quality than a poster for "Sexy Summer Styles" that can be found in a department store like JC Penny? Or do we want to focus more on a certain genre, or type of poster (music seems like the logical choice)?

My vote is probably to keep things refined and focused.

Since we have a music site (discogs) and a movie site (filmogs), it still makes sense to me to have both types of movie posters here.

Anyway, it would be nice if a clear decision could be made, so I can take a stand if the decision to make this site for music posters only.

I have spent hours uploading movie posters so that I can keep track of the collection I have. I don't want to spend more time taking pictures, searching online for info about the movies, companies and people depicted on the posters to help build this site if it all will be deleted in the future.

Thanks for getting this conversation rolling and apologies we've been a little absent in it so far. Up to this point we've been keeping the definition and guidelines fairly broad and flexible to allow the community to shape Posterogs as you see fit, but we see the need for a clearer stance.
There are some great points made by all here. We agree with the need for the database to become more focused, and definitely understand the concern that shiny, mass-produced posters could nudge out the more artistic music posters. However, as the Discogs stable is now also home to Filmogs, we think there’s space for both music and movie posters here.
We’ve added faceting to the database, so it’s easy to filter on gig posters, music posters vs. film posters. Check out the column on the left on the Explore page: https://www.posterogs.com/browse/poster. You can also sort the marketplace with this method by choosing your preferred category of poster, then clicking ‘For Sale’. As we continue to build the database
We do want to distance ourselves from posters that aren’t related to music or film in any way (e.g. motivational, animal pics, sports, etc) - do you agree these are better left off Posterogs?

As per your last query:
"We do want to distance ourselves from posters that aren’t related to music or film in any way (e.g. motivational, animal pics, sports, etc)"

Yes, absolutely. That's what I was referring to. There are too many, and the lines are too blurry. If we allow everything that could conceivably be called "a poster", this site will be unusable (in my mind).

I am thinking it should be linked to all the sites that discogs have. So posters for Records, music gear, books, films and comics can go here, but not motivational, animals pics etc.

Login or Register to post a reply to this topic.